Building Your Personal Brand With A Custom Email Address From Gmail
Ready for some crazy stats?
The average person spends 28% of their work week on email and receives 124 emails every day.
There are so many reasons for having your own name as your email address but to spit out a few for you here’s my top 5:
- Having a custom domain email address makes you appear more professional. Now of course I could go with [email protected] but doesn’t it look better reading [email protected]?
- It is easy for people to remember as they just have to remember your name and your name is what we want people to remember right? Not [email protected].
- If you own your domain name already (which you should) then you are half way there and having your own custom email address will have people you are emailing looking up your website.
- You can create other emails under the domain for invoicing, an assistant, you name it.
- You’ll be promoting your brand not some big tech giant.
And why Gmail?
Because it’s the best out there. I’ve tried many others from Godaddy to outlook, but Gmail really takes the biscuit. It’s super clean interface, all the way through to google drive, google docs, google photos, it’s integration with YouTube… the list goes on and on.
If you don’t already have a custom email address, Gmail is the way to go and lucky for you my fine friends at Google have given me a 20% off coupon code so you can save money on your professional email 😁
So here’s how to create a custom domain email address with Gmail:
Purchase a custom domain name. I purchase all of mine from GoDaddy.com.
- Visit Google’s G Suite site here.
- Click “Start Free Trial” and then enter your basic information in the steps that follow in order to create your account.
- You’ll have the option to set up your account the “Express” or “Custom” way. Go with the Express as it’s nice and easy.
- Now you need to “verify” your domain name. Don’t let this scary you as it is really easy. Google and Godaddy have a wizard that will do it automatically. Just click the button and it will connect everything.
- Click “verify.”
Once you’re done, login to your G-Suite account and click “Users.” There, you’ll see the option to add new users (i.e. custom email addresses!). Adding new users is $6 per user. This investment is more than worth it.
That’s it! You’re done!
If you have any questions about using Gmail’s G-Suite with a custom domain, feel free to leave a question in the comments!
I also have an unlimited amount of coupons to share for 20% off Google Apps!
G-Suite Basic Plan Coupon: CAAUC7KCWVDE3JA
G-Suite Business Plan Coupon: M7TQA9UJRPVJ7EC
Personal Brand Building Together!
Author: Richard Janes
Richard Janes is an Emmy winning filmmaker, entrepreneur, and career coach working with fellow entrepreneurs and those in the creative industries to build their brand and open up more opportunities for them to shine doing what they do best. In 2019, Success Magazine introduced him as America’s top personal branding expert having helped launch, revive, and catapult the careers of many actors, athletes, musicians, television hosts, executives, and entrepreneurs.
A few months back Success Magazine interviewed me about my journey helping people build their personal brand grounded in #passion #purpose & #authenticity. It was a game changer for me, but not the way most people would expect. So I wrote about it here 👉
If you’re looking for a platform to build your brand, I’m going to argue that you need to take a long hard look at doubling down on Linkedin. Linkedin was born in 2002, a full two years before Facebook, four years before Twitter, and eight years before Instagram. In...
"The best answer I can give is: why not?" Within just three months we’ve discovered a new city, bought a house, and begun the move halfway across the country to Oklahoma City. It’s pretty darn exciting and goes to show how anything can happen. We had no intention of...